Friday, February 21, 2014

Why I Am (& Will Always Be) a Member of My Professional Associations

When I started teaching back in 2006, I didn't realize just how much I'd hit the jackpot (I'm a teacher -- clearly I'm not talking about money here).  I knew I was at a great school with a supportive community, and I knew my colleagues were some of the best in the field.  What I DIDN'T  realize was WHAT made them the best, and how much they'd teach me through their actions.

You see, I had colleagues who were extremely active in their professional associations. At the time, as a new teacher, all I cared about was being a good teacher. Learning the ropes.  Surviving. What I didn't realize was that being active in my professional associations (Alabama Business Education Association, Southern Business Education Association, and National Business Education Association) would actually help me with this. 

Thankfully I learned pretty quickly.  When my colleagues registered for business education conferences, I followed. And boy, am I glad I did. I found out two things: 

1)  While it's great to participate in local/school-wide professional development that focus on technology integration, classroom management, differentiating instruction, etc., there is NOTHING (and I mean NOTHING) like developing in these areas with other business teachers.  Teachers who understand your content area. Teachers who know that the business classroom works very differently from the traditional classroom. 

2)  Another thing I learned was just how many business teachers have no clue what is available to them.  Teachers who haven't experienced, and therefore don't realize, the VALUE of learning with other business teachers.  While I have met so many great business teachers over the years at conferences and workshops, there are so many more out there who do NOT attend conferences with other business teachers. While I agree that there are other ways to to develop as a teacher (social media, general ed/technology conferences, etc.), nothing compares to learning from those in your own field.  

I am LUCKY to work at the same school as current and former state, regional, and national officers -- individuals who have served for many years. 

These same individuals have encouraged ME to serve. My colleague Madge Gregg (former National Business Education Association President) thought it'd be a good idea if I attended our regional conference as a leadership delegate a few years ago. I was young and eager.  Of course I said YES. So that year in Orlando, I got my first look at why leadership is important in these organizations. 

That following year, I was nominated to serve as my state association's secretary.  I was nervous.  I'm rather contribute from the behind the scenes, but I was glad I did it. I just wrapped up my second year as secretary of the Alabama Business Education Association.  I learned so much! 

Earlier this month, I took on a new role as our state's Membership Director. This position comes with a little more pressure. You've got to bring the people in. Help them see the value. And while I have some ideas on how to reach Alabama business teachers who are not active members, I know it's going to be a challenge. But I'm up for it. 

So to go back to the original reason for this post, I look back on just how rich my professional life has been because of the people I work with...and how they've exposed me to the best ways to develop as a business educator. In the eight years I've been a teacher, I've traveled and learned from the best. I've been put in positions to learn and lead. I've met business teachers from all over. I feel like I always know the latest/best practices for my content area because of the exposure I get at conferences and conventions. I receive yearbooks and publications JUST for business teachers (yes, the ENTIRE book/publication is for my content area). I'm RICH because of this. Total jackpot.

Which is why I will ALWAYS be a member of my professional associations. Which is why I will encourage every new business teacher I meet to take advantage of the opportunities early in his or her career.  Why I'll encourage seasoned business teachers to stop missing out. I hope to pass along the same encouragement I received early in my career so that I can make someone else rich.

Here are a few pics from past conference and conventions. 

NBEA 2012 Annual Convention - Boston 



My colleague, Glenith Moncus, is SUCH a fun travel partner.  After the sessions ended for the day, she and I explored Boston like CRAZY - snapping pics, trying new foods, visiting Harvard, etc.  We felt like locals by the time we left. 


Madge Gregg (pictured between Glenith and me) is a business education rockstar. This particular year, she was immediate past president of NBEA and had obligations, so she couldn't get out and play like we did. But we did catch her a couple of times. 


NBEA 2011 Annual Convention - New Orleans


Judy Kehr is my ultimate travel buddy. We've been roomies many times. I'll always remember that she took me to my first business conference in 2006!

She and I decided to be adventurous and ride the train instead of drive or fly to New Orleans in 2011.  It was an interesting trip, to say the least, but I'll save that story for another day. 

NBEA 2013 Annual Convention - Atlanta, GA

My colleague, Glenith Moncus, and I at a restaurant we love!
NBEA was held closer to home for us last year, so it was cool not to have to worry about flights, trains, etc. for once.

Southern Business Education Association 2013 
Annual Conference - Williamsburg, VA

These are some of the very people I've learned from over the years -
current co-workers and former grad school professors-turned colleagues.

I look forward to attending this year's NBEA Convention.  Not because it's in California (though that's certainly a plus), but because a colleague asked me to help present a session.  Toooooootally not my thing -- I'm pretty nervous -- but I've learned that it's healthy to get out of your comfort zone. So as nervous as I am about presenting to a group of peers, I'm just as excited.

If you are a business teacher and are not a member of NBEA, what are you waiting for? Go to NBEA.org for more information.  If you are a member of NBEA and know a business teacher who is not (we all do), invite them to join.  More than once.  :)  Help them become rich just like you.

Other Sites:

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great point, and Twitter is such a great vehicle for connecting all of you business teachers. You will be fantastic in your presentation in sunny California. Thanks for the reminder of the importance of professional organizations!

    ReplyDelete